Lynchburg Stained Glass was commissioned to replace the existing discolored polycarbonate storm covering for the stained glass windows at Rivermont Baptist Church in Lynchburg, VA.
The existing storm coverings lacked proper ventilation, trapping heat and moisture between the window and covering. This build-up of heat and moisture shortens the lifespan of stained glass and promotes decay in the wood frame.
The new storm covering system includes a vented aluminum frame and laminated safety glass: this type of glass remains clear, unlike polycarbonate coverings that scratch and yellow with age. The vented system promotes circulation of fresh air between the window and storm covering, thus reducing heat and moisture between windows.
In all, the work completed for Rivermont Baptist by LSG included
- Removal of discolored plastic window coverings
- Cleaning and repair of existing stained-glass windows
- Re-lead of stained-glass panels where deteriorated
- Installation of new aluminum storm frame fabricated to match configuration of existing window frames (so that members aligned)
- Installation of 1/4-inch safety glass